Dates: March 18, 25, April 1, 8, 15 and 22nd (Tuesdays)
Times: Six Sessions from 7:00-9:30 pm
Place: Neilson Park Creative Centre – STUDIO A – West, Toronto (Map)
Cost: $150 (or $135 for CAGT Members & Friends of CAGT)
- This six session course will teach students how to perform flat-brush calligraphy while also learning Fraktur, one of the most popular Gothic scripts based out of Central Europe 16-19C. Fraktur is also one of the most free-style calligraphy scripts around. Students will:
- Be presented with some of the best examples of Fraktur from all over the world with a critical analysis of what makes great lettering.
- See demonstrations by Steve Czajka on different methods of calligraphy including: traditional calligraphy pens, double pencil technique from Roman times, and even wide-format paint markers (used in the Calligraffiti movement).
- Learn the basics of brush lettering, edge pressure, paint preparation, cleanup, and brush manipulation to achieve amazing looking letter forms. Similar to (video)
- Learn about basic letter flourishing & decoration techniques
- Work towards a final assignment focused on a flourished capital letter, surrounded by Gothic text of their choice and design.
- Learn to letter their works onto: paper, cloth, sign boards, dry wall, wood, glass, mural applications, and even coated concrete surfaces.
- Steve Czajka is a calligrapher with over 30 years of experience. His work has appeared as a headliner for a television show, and Steve was invited to teach at an international calligraphy conference. Steve’s work is planned to be featured in “Bound and Lettered Magazine” from John Neal Bookseller. You can see Steve Czajka’s portfolio at http://flickr.com/photos/steveczajka
Materials students will need:
- 10mm wide flat-brush or similar . (introductory brushes are around $5 to $10). The course notes have been designed around this ( 3/8th inch, 10mm) size. A Winsor & Newton brush or any brush with spring is acceptable. Curry’s, Michael’s, or even a local paint and wallpaper store will have these available.
- A palette to thin paint. A plate, or glass will also do as a smooth clean surface.
- Cup for water and mixing paint.
- Acrylic paint (red, black, or dark colour). I recommend picking up a few tester paints for a $1.00 each. You don’t actually need much paint as it lasts quite long when thinned properly.
- Some extra paper (not much, just regular bond paper, nothing special as it is for practice)
Instructor will provide:
- Course notes including all exercise templates, exemplars, and theory (one printed set for each student)
Seating is Limited, First come – first served. Please fill out the registration form to join.
Note: This course is designed for calligraphers, illustrators, typographers, graphic designers and the like. Students who already have taken a calligraphy course will benefit the most from this course. This course is open to all.
Please direct questions to steveczajka [at] hotmail [dot] com.