Dates: March 18, 25, April 1, 8, 15 and 22nd (Tuesdays)
Times: Six Sessions from 7:00-9:30 pm
Place: Neilson Park Creative Centre – STUDIO A – West, Toronto (Map)
Cost: $150 (or $135 for CAGT Members & Friends of CAGT)
- This six session course will teach students how to perform flat-brush calligraphy while also learning Fraktur, one of the most popular Gothic scripts based out of Central Europe 16-19C. Fraktur is also one of the most free-style calligraphy scripts around. Students will:
- Be presented with some of the best examples of Fraktur from all over the world with a critical analysis of what makes great lettering.
- See demonstrations by Steve Czajka on different methods of calligraphy including: traditional calligraphy pens, double pencil technique from Roman times, and even wide-format paint markers (used in the Calligraffiti movement).
- Learn the basics of brush lettering, edge pressure, paint preparation, cleanup, and brush manipulation to achieve amazing looking letter forms. Similar to (video)
- Learn about basic letter flourishing & decoration techniques
- Work towards a final assignment focused on a flourished capital letter, surrounded by Gothic text of their choice and design.
- Learn to letter their works onto: paper, cloth, sign boards, dry wall, wood, glass, mural applications, and even coated concrete surfaces.
- Steve Czajka is a calligrapher with over 30 years of experience. His work has appeared as a headliner for a television show, and Steve was invited to teach at an international calligraphy conference. Steve’s work is planned to be featured in “Bound and Lettered Magazine” from John Neal Bookseller. You can see Steve Czajka’s portfolio at http://flickr.com/photos/steveczajka