This shows some book cover design options for a recent project I completed. My role was to come up with an attractive cover title, and recommend a font for secondary text and background textures. I also included some placeholder graphics in option 6 for the publishing company. Along with the options shown above, I provided the client a written description of each option (pros/cons), fonts, graphics, and background texture(s) specifications. Once my client selected their desired option, they received the final files for high resolution production. Continue reading
Oktoberfest is right around the corner, and what a better way to mark the event but with classic German calligraphy. This calligraphic typeface is based on Klingspore by Rudolf Koch (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rudolf_Koch). This is a beautiful Gothic typeface.
This authentic calligraphy was created using a 6.0 mm Pilot Parallel Calligraphy Pen. It was later scanned, and digitally processed to create the gold raised effect. It was finally draped on top of the two background images. The pooling of the ink by the original calligraphy pen creates differences in height and colour. This effect mixes authentic calligraphy with modern digital arts. The digital effects were created with GIMP & Inkscape (FREE software). Read more at http://flickr.com/steveczajka. And “en Prosit!”
Watch this FREE 30 minute video to learn the basics of Scribus software. Scribus software is also FREE and it will enable you to apply your calligraphy and design skills to professional publishing documents.
Learn Gothic Calligraphy & Lettering in this online calligraphy course. All available as a digital download.
Click Here to Purchase via PayPal or Credit Card:
- Learn Gothic Calligraphy & Lettering eBook ONLY ($49.99)
- Learn Gothic Calligraphy & Lettering Video Based Training & eBook ($99.99)
- Calligraphy Review Service including eBook + Videos ($199.99)
View Steve’s portfolio at http://flickr.com/photos/steveczajka
Below is a listing of the course topics . . .
The Gothic Calligraphy Course starts this Tuesday, March 18th in Toronto taught by Steve Czajka. There a only a few spots left so if you are interested please contact Steve Czajka at ( steveczajka [at] hotmail [dot] com ) soon. Seating is limited.
The above shot is an example of one of roughly 30 exemplars students will receive in this course. Read about the course at:
UPDATE: March 27. This course is in full swing now. I am in the process of creating an eBook for online or correspondence calligraphy learning. The eBook including printable exemplars will be closer to 50 pages in length and covers the materials, history, modern interpretations and my three easy keys to learning calligraphy & lettering. I am totally excited about this eBook. Details will be made available soon on this website soon.
Dates: March 18, 25, April 1, 8, 15 and 22nd (Tuesdays)
Times: Six Sessions from 7:00-9:30 pm
Place: Neilson Park Creative Centre – STUDIO A – West, Toronto (Map)
Cost: $150 (or $135 for CAGT Members & Friends of CAGT)
- This six session course will teach students how to perform flat-brush calligraphy while also learning Fraktur, one of the most popular Gothic scripts based out of Central Europe 16-19C. Fraktur is also one of the most free-style calligraphy scripts around. Students will:
- Be presented with some of the best examples of Fraktur from all over the world with a critical analysis of what makes great lettering.
- See demonstrations by Steve Czajka on different methods of calligraphy including: traditional calligraphy pens, double pencil technique from Roman times, and even wide-format paint markers (used in the Calligraffiti movement).
- Learn the basics of brush lettering, edge pressure, paint preparation, cleanup, and brush manipulation to achieve amazing looking letter forms. Similar to (video)
- Learn about basic letter flourishing & decoration techniques
- Work towards a final assignment focused on a flourished capital letter, surrounded by Gothic text of their choice and design.
- Learn to letter their works onto: paper, cloth, sign boards, dry wall, wood, glass, mural applications, and even coated concrete surfaces.
- Steve Czajka is a calligrapher with over 30 years of experience. His work has appeared as a headliner for a television show, and Steve was invited to teach at an international calligraphy conference. Steve’s work is planned to be featured in “Bound and Lettered Magazine” from John Neal Bookseller. You can see Steve Czajka’s portfolio at http://flickr.com/photos/steveczajka